Re: HYB: germination of fresh seed

Sorry Christian, no I don't know.  From what I remember reading,
inhibitors have to leach out , other inhibitors have to be turned off by
chilling, so that water can be absorbed through the seed coat.  After
that, the growing embryo has to rupture the seed coat.  Some stuff I
read suggested that time was needed for the seed wall to weaken enough
for the embryo to break out.

So, <maybe> the inhibitors are inactive and water is getting through the
seed coat, or maybe it's just the pulpy outer covering that is swelling.

Christian said:
<That kinda sounds like what you're saying,'Seeds of several
                   of the crosses have absorbed enough moisture that the
pulpy outer covering
                   is starting to split.'  I haven't decided that that's
a good thing.   Do you

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8