re: HYB: removing germination inhibitors (long)

Hi Linda,

I just happened to be re-reading the genetics
section in The World of Irises, so I looked
this up.

Heres a summary.

If a greenhouse or area with plant lights is
available the following steps are recommended:

*Take seed harvested by mid-August and soak.
Running oxygenated water is recommended for
soaking, or the water should be changed
frequently.

*Chip the seed to expose the radicle of the
embryo  and soak again for 48 hours

*Plant in pots, water, place the pot in a
plastic bag and immediately place in 32 deg. F
storage for 55 days.  Another similar method
described recommends moist storage for 30 to 90
days.  <If I recall, Linda, you reported better
luck with 90 days.>

There are notes elsewhere in the chapter which
recommend never allowing the seed to get below
32 deg F.

*Transfer pots to greenhouse at 60-70 deg. F.

Germination is expected between 10 days to two
weeks.  Transplanting is recommended when the
seedlings reach 1-2 high.

The most critical steps for germination are:
leaching away of the inhibitor, adequate supply
of oxygen and favorable temperature for
germination.  If these conditions do not remain
favorable, the seeds may revert quickly to a
state in which germination is blocked.  (To
this I can definitely attest.)

From what I could read, this method uses seeds
collected just as the pod is ripening without
allowing the seeds to dry out.

I could play around a little bit with this, but
I think filling the fridge with pots may be
more than I can get away with.  As it is, they
put up with me nearly turning the formal living
room into a greenhouse every winter.

If anyone out there wants to experiment, the
bees were kind enough to set many bee pods
especially in the rebloomer beds.  I'd be happy
to mail seeds to anyone wanting to try this
out.  The pods will be ripening in a week or
two.

Robin Shadlow
zone 5 NE

where I'm wondering why as soon as the weekend
rolls around and I can get out to dig the heat
index warnings get issued?  Guess that's what
alarm clocks are for : )

Help the planet each day! It's free and easy:
http://www.Care2.com/dailyaction/