Re: OT: Dig. Camera results . . .

Just a couple of points:

I have had a friend tell me that the Mavica CD is a little slow on recording. I had the previous model that used a floppy disk and there were times I had to wait to take a second picture. I think that the CD recording technology is a little slower, but don't have first hand experience. With my floppy version it was not a issue very often.

If the Sony CDs are re-writable then 3 for $19 is not bad. They are reuseable probably for longer than you will want the camera. You can play the CDs in a standard CD drive but not slot loaders (or at least my Apple Titanium power book)

The memory card cameras do make it easy to load to computers as long as you have an infrared port on your machine. Even without that there are inexpensive memory card readers that are easy to use.

John

Steve Szabo wrote:

Adam,

I looked up the Sony on the website, and the mini CDs are claimed to be able
to hold 1300 images at 640 x 480 (a poor resolution for photos) or 237 at
1600 x 1200 (a much better resolution). I could not find anything about
battery life.

That being said, I'd go for a memory card (or the Sony memory stick, which
is more expensive since it is exclusive to Sony products). On the Sony web
site, they are selling the RW CDs for 19.99 for 3, which does seem to be a
bit much, where a 256 MB memory card recently cost me $52, and I can dump it
to the laptop at any time, or pop in another card. I also don't have to
worry about scratches doing in a CD before I get it transferred to a hard
drive.

I own a Nikon CoolPix 4300 which cost me $420 a few months ago. It has 4
megapixels, and the photos I have been taking are 2272 x 1704. This
translates to an average of about 800 KB per photo. The stock lens is an
equivalent 38-114mm when compared to a 35mm lens. There are additional
lenses available for it, but I have not priced them yet.

I'd rate the battery life as fair (Nikon rates the battery at 90 minutes
with one third of the shots using flash). I will be buying an additional
rechargeable battery before I go on vacation later this summer. It can also
take no rechargeable batteries that are a fairly standard camera battery, as
I recall, so in a pinch, I could always hustle out and get some of those.

Flash is built in, and there is an external strobe flash available that cost
me $99. It uses infrared technology, so there is no connection with the
camera necessary. It does not really do video, though there is an option for
it. I haven't even tried it yet as it holds no real interest for me.

I haven't used it enough yet to think I am anywhere near proficient with it,
I still feel more comfortable with my 35 mm camera, but it is a lot easier
to carry around and grab quick shots with. If you are used to using a 35 mm
camera of any quality, there are a lot of differences between that an the
digital cameras, even the higher end ones I have seen and played with a bit.
I reject a lot of the shots I take for any of a multitude of reasons, and it
is a lot less expensive than slide film, with which I reject a lot of shots.

I spent a lot of time with several different cameras before I made my
purchase, trying different things with them. The people at the shop where I
bought the camera were very patient, and, they were familiar with the
cameras they sold. I got my at a camera store (photo shop, whatever you
would like to call it), and they gave me a lot more information than I could
have ever discovered at a mass merchandiser. The price was below the MSRP,
though I may have been able to do better at a mass merchandiser, I did not
bother to shop one prior to buying. I also did a lot of research online
before even walking into the store, so I had a pretty good idea of what I
wanted before I went shopping. If the features I needed were in another
camera and were better implemented, in that price range I had in my head,
the people at the store could have easily switched me to another camera.
However, there was this one they had, at about $1800 that looks
reeeaaaallllllyyyy good <g>.

\\Steve//
No. Virginia, Zone 7