Re: REB: and growth habit

In a message dated 7/26/2003 9:54:36 AM Central Standard Time,
showtime@bbtel.com writes:

> blooms and then
> essentially dies off, then is it also true that in order to rebloom a cv
> must also increase agressively.  Not only does it need to increase enough to>
>
> set bloom the following year, but also enough to set bloom for the second
> (third, fourth, etc.) time in a season.

Christian, technically, you are right.  That is to be a 'good' rebloomer.
Things don't always go according to 'ideal.'

I have one repeat bloomer (rebloom) that will bloom on every stalk before
it's done.  (Repeats with a couple of stalks after all other bloom is gone) Then
it will rest.  During this period you would swear it's bloomed out! Not so.
With the first rain or before, it starts putting up little inclreases.  Next
year it does the same thing all over again.

I've a bud in a vase sitting on top of my file cabinet.  The seedling bloomed
in the spring and left 2 rhizomes.  This bud came from a stalk on one of
those two rhizomes. ( 1511-3Re. ) Same cross as the yellow one I sent to the list.
 Yes, it's a rebloomer, but doubt if its a good one, because it is the same
age as the others and it is sitting there with two rhizomes. I will line it out
and give it a chance.  Maybe it will change it's ways in a different
location.

After the late freeze of 2002, many from these crosses were wiped out.  Only
seven remained from this cross and 3 of the seven have sent up July stalks.
It's one of the INNOCENT STAR crosses.

Betty W in South-central KY zone 6