Re: OT: Introduction

So, any suggestions on books to buy and read, which irises maybe to start
out with, etc, would be greatly appreciated.
Holly D Tunning Canfield
Buckhannon, West Virginia
Zone 5b

Good luck, and welcome Holly!

The people in this group will be glad to help.
Iris have come a long ways since your "usual purple one".  Web searches will
turn up sources for you.  Schreiners and Cooleys have excellent color
catalogs.  For the knowledgeable iris lover (few pictures, more modern
selection) Bay View Gardens (Joe Ghio) is my favorite source.  Tempo Two
(Barry Blyth in Australia) is also an excellent source.  Suttons has a lot of
rebloomers, strong garden plants, and excellent prices.

Which iris to buy depends on your personal taste  (my absolute favorite is
Louisa's Song), and by the time you actually have a commercial business (if
ever) your taste will probably change.  Pick a few you might like, mention
them on iris-talk, and we'll all give you our opinions.  Of course, the
opinions from your region will give you the best feedback on what will grow
well in your climate.

Books are okay, an AIS membership may help more, and any chance you get to
talk with an experienced hybridizer is a great opportunity to learn.

John Reeds
lamegardener@msn.com

-Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com