Re: OT-BIO Richard Copa

Welcome aboard, Richard.  We hope you find lots of interesting and useful
information here.  You've also got a chance to make some friends--we're mostly
a pretty laid back bunch and willing to be of help if you need or ask for it.

You might enjoy browsing back through the earlier months in this archive.
There's loads of information and a lot of conversation there.

A bit about yours truly--I've been involved with irises off and on since the
mid forties.  I got started raising seedlings, knowing nothing about what I
was doing early in the fifties, and between then and 1980 named and introduced
a few, most of which should have been composted instead of named.  But I had
the "bug," found irises of any kind irresistable and gradually expanded out
into far more space than I could take care of.  "Moderation..."--what is that?
I've never learned.

Some abrupt changes in my life cut me off from gardens, soils and irises and I
spent twenty-some years involved in full-time church work, taking me away from
my native Idaho and Oregon, first into Tennessee, then later into the coal
fields of West Virginia, then into central North Carolina.  Eventually I was
assigned to a parish near Asheville, NC.  Due to age and problems with health
I have retired here and once again can grow and cross-breed iris.  I've had
lots of help from others, and I have come to treasure the people I've gotten
to know over the years, both in iris and in the other fields in which I've

The advent of the computer, the development of the Internet and the invention
of such phenomena as this Iris-talk, its companion Iris-photos and some other
Internet sites devoted to irises--including the commercial sites loaded with
photos of iris--have transformed the way I spend my time.  I always felt the
need for this kind of network of people, exchanging ideas and experience and
simply getting to know one another.  It has finally happened.  I am grateful I
have lived to see this day.  I hope you enjoy Iris-talk as much as I do.

Neil Mogensen  USDA zone 7, western NC