Re: HYB: GERM INHIBITORS

Patrick,

Climate is a major issue for me here in zone 4b. I don't have the luxury
of growing Irises 12 months a year like you do in Arizona and like to
take my  potted seedlings and get them snuggled down before the nasty
weather arrives.  The ungerminated usually don't fair well after being
covered in snow and rain for 6 months, usually they are a total right
off.  The seeds seem to either rot or the one's that are in the process
of germinating die.I may experiment with covering the window planters
with a tarp to see if they make it through any better.  Insulation may
be a factor.

Anyway, speeding up this process would be a real bonus for those us who
hybridize in cold climates.  It would also allow me to keep my crosses
together and organized.  I wouldn't want to make a huge bed and have it
only sparsely populated with seedlings. I'd be stuck all summer looking
at a rather unattractive and empty,weedy bed.

Planting the seeds directly in the ground is not something I want to do
here because the ground can heave  up to four inches in the Spring.  I'm
fighting against the elements here and would just love to get better
germination.

I'm also trying to grow Arilbreds this year and if they survive, I'll
surely try making some crosses with them.  Improving difficult and super
long germination of AB's seeds would be certainly a joy for anybody who
has worked with them.

These are my thoughts for now.
Chris
Lafonataine, Quebec 4b