  From: Christopher Darlington
  To: iris@hort.net
  Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 8:21 PM
  Subject: Re: [iris] HYB: GERM INHIBITORS

  Patrick,

  Climate is a major issue for me here in zone 4b. I don't have the luxury
  of growing Irises 12 months a year like you do in Arizona and like to
  take my  potted seedlings and get them snuggled down before the nasty
  weather arrives.  The ungerminated usually don't fair well after being
  covered in snow and rain for 6 months, usually they are a total right
  off.  The seeds seem to either rot or the one's that are in the process
  of germinating die.I may experiment with covering the window planters
  with a tarp to see if they make it through any better.  Insulation may
  be a factor.

  Anyway, speeding up this process would be a real bonus for those us who
  hybridize in cold climates.  It would also allow me to keep my crosses
  together and organized.  I wouldn't want to make a huge bed and have it
  only sparsely populated with seedlings. I'd be stuck all summer looking
  at a rather unattractive and empty,weedy bed.

  Planting the seeds directly in the ground is not something I want to do
  here because the ground can heave  up to four inches in the Spring.  I'm
  fighting against the elements here and would just love to get better
  germination.

  I'm also trying to grow Arilbreds this year and if they survive, I'll
  surely try making some crosses with them.  Improving difficult and super
  long germination of AB's seeds would be certainly a joy for anybody who
  has worked with them.

  These are my thoughts for now.
  Chris
  Lafonataine, Quebec 4b