Re: CULT: Raised Beds

Holly D Tunning Canfield wrote:

OKay List --

Considering getting things prepared for a few Iris this fall --

I want to do raised beds, I have clay soil, so I think this would be the
best bet.  I'm thinking 6 inches - 1 foot deep and about 1 foot wide ...
does this sound okay, or should they be deeper, wider, etc?  Looking at
doing TB, BB, IB, SBD, and MBD all ... but not to start out with ... I'm
not that rich :)  Also along with gladiolas.

I am sure others will have opinions too. I grow in clay also, and use raised beds. Mine are 4' wide 12" above and 6" below ground (lined with rabbit wire to keep out the gophers). I plant on18" triangular centers. (alternating a row across of two and a row of one) This also allows me to use a drip watering system.
--------------------------
* * *
* * *
* * *

I think 12" wide is too narrow for TBs, BBs and IBs. They grow too fast.

Just MHO

John | "There be dragons here"

http://www.AISGiftShop.com

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay) Fremont, California, USA Director, American Iris Society

Subscribe to iris@hort.net by sending:
Subscribe iris