Re: CULT: Raised Beds

We are raising some of our beds this year due to problems with rot since we
get so much rain in the spring. We have a raised bed along our driveway that
has been successful. We use landscape timbers that are stacked two timbers high.
Some of our beds are 4 foot x 24 ft.
 My husband, Wayne, staggers the top row so that they are sticking out beyond
the end of the timber below enough so that he can nail the top timber into
the next bottom timber in line. Does what I said make sense?
We got compost from the city ($20 a truck load) and sand ($10 a truck load)
and tilled it (2 parts sand to 1 part compost) into the existing soil. Now we
are watering it and letting it sit for a week or two so that any weed seeds can
germinate and we will spray Roundup and hope we get most of the weeds before
we plant the iris back.
Hope this helps.
Leslie Jobe'
Owensboro, KY