Re: AIS: R&I images (and other related items)

Once upon a time, long long ago in a county far away, I attended the Japanese Iris Symposium.
All sorts of wonderful, knowledgeable people were there and they were invariably kind to a bemused, know-enough-to-get -in-trouble-but-not-enough-to-get-out-of-it guy. I didn't have that many JI and they all came from a package of seed from Park's.

I even attended the AIS Judges' Training course that was given that Sunday morning where we were all entertained quite royally by John Coble of Ensata Iris. I think it was my first course as a student god, er, judge.

He had a wonderful slide show and, as all good trainers do, refused to name cultivars during the actual course. He judged his audience correctly; by the time people were starting to grumble, he put up an absolutely stunning shot of a JI that screamed out to all of us "PLANT ME!! PLANT ME!!".
He turned to us with that wicked smile of his and asked who wouldn't like that cultivar in their garden. Then he showed us what the bloom looked like when it wasn't taken by a professional photographer with all the darkroom bells and whistles; that is, the rest of us. Ah, yes... bark, bark, bark. It was the proverbial wet handkerchief, a veritable dog of a plant.
"And that," John continued, "is why you should never trust a slide show or a catalogue when you are voting the ballot."

I took this advice to heart and, once I evolved into a higher life form, I never voted for a cultivar unless I saw it either on tour or in my garden over two seasons. My ballot is an easy count.

When I get older and wiser (I'll settle for older), I'll know how to vote for an iris based on the photo in a catalogue or a web site. From there, I'll aim for voting based on a written description. I'll graduate to voting based on the hybridizer's name. Finally, I vote for the cultivar's name. I like 'Root Mean Square' if any hybridizer is interested and I don't think "Sarcastic" hasn't been taken yet.

To return to the topic at hand, I am one of those idiots who maintains a lot of computers at home. I have a fair number of monitors, none of which are the same. All of my images are stored on a shared drive, where I can access them on any machine while the kids are saving humanity and foiling Draco Malfoy. The difference in colour is dramatic, though not as dramatic as John's example. Even with B&W shots, the proportions differ from one machine to another because I cannot exactly match the monitors' dimensions.

So... if I introduced a plicata, I could easily send an image of 'Rare Edition'. So long as it wasn't something along the lines of 'Momentous Occasion' who would be able to tell the difference on a 72 dpi monitor?

I wish the AHS well with their project, but there's no way I would wish this on the AIS. Pictures are all well and good, but you can't trust the damn things to be true and to make them a requirement of registry would be a major annoyance to everybody on the delivery end when they could be out digging my order.

I've been involved in the R&I index project and the data contained in the index is exactly the same as the register. That's because Mike Lowe scans the pages of each register into an optical file when he isn't putting together an absolutely outstanding AIS Convention booklet and the rest of us double and triple check the resulting files before it is uploaded by JIJ.

Regards,

Sandy Ives in Ottawa (who is eagerly awaiting the arrival of his Ghio order)

http://members.rogers.com/orris/ ... and no, you're not the first one to hit the site.