Re: Re: AIS: R&I images (and other related items)

In a message dated 7/30/2003 3:41:19 PM Central Standard Time,
DFerguson@cabq.gov writes:

> I think the chance of a few dishonest photos, and the added initial work
> are worth the advantage of having

Dave, I'd like to interject a personal experience here.  (to be considered in
the equation)

A seedling of mine bloomed/blooms here (see below) and has grayed orange
standards veined purple. The falls are paper white, with beetroot fall rings and
shoulders.  It has a bumble bee gold (or daylily pollen gold) wash beside the
beard and extending down into the white.  Distinctive to my eyes.

When it bloomed in Memphis the purple veins and the golden wash were missing.
 If I'd been going strictly by the R & I description, or a picture in an R &
I, either one, I would not have recognized my own seedling!  Yet, there it was
for all to see.  Not a bad iris, but not distinctive. I recognized it (well,
it had the name on it)! because of other characteristics.

This has happened with other irises too.  Different soils produce different
looks.  We've had a few of 'those' arguments at our local show.  (Surely, this
must be a problem with Daylilies too?)

Should we show a collection of pictures showing how each iris appears in
various locals?

Not against it, but wondering how AIS could address the various problems.

Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6 . After so many years of watching
Returning Chameleon bloom? The standards are only blue here in VERY cool springs!
Stalks in bloom now and no trace to the casual observation.