Re: Re: AIS: R&I images (and other related items - colors)

I agree on the colors.  I don't have a clue about many of those color names
either, and some of them obviously don't mean what I think a certain name
means.  There are standard color charts, but they fade with age, and
different copies don't always match exactly.  Worst is that common terms
like violet, scarlet, and even pink mean different things to different
people.  I tend to look at colors from a "mix this color with that color
and get this color" perspective, so to me red, blue, yellow, white and
black are set in stone, and other colors are mixes of these.  I tend to
ignore names for everything but the primary and secondary colors, plus
white, black, and gray, and I use those in parts for the other colors.
That makes green half blue and half yellow and yellow-green is roughly one
quarter blue and three quarters yellow, and so on.  Light red is white
mixed with red (this is the "real" pink); light blue is blue mixed with
white, and so on.  Brown is any mix of the three primary colors (and there
are LOTS of brown variations that could be expressed in relation to primary
colors, white, and black).  To me this is the easiest and most logical
approach to color, but it doesn't work that way for most people.  There ARE
infinite combinations, but how do you remember infinite different names,
and how do you get everyone to recognize the same name for each color?

I would rather read "reddish purple" than "red-violet" or "magenta" or
"cerise".  What are magenta or cerise anyway?  I thought I knew, but
everyone seems to have a different idea.  And "red-violet", what is that
anyway?  violet is supposed to be bluish purple (so I thought), so if you
have red-violet, doesn't that make it a bluish reddish purple?  Isn't that
just purple?  Yikes.

And these are just "standard" colors that everyone who speaks English is
supposed to know.  What about all those weird colors that nobody has ever
heard of before?  What about all those names for red that to me just mean
red, but to others each means something different (blood, scarlet, crimson,
cardinal, fire engine, tomato, etc., etc., etc.)?

Interesting problem, and I think probably has been discussed about a
million times???

I always wondered if your eyes are different colors, if you see colors
differently?  Is that just being silly?