Re: Found local source! (Dana Borglum)

And an awfully nice man too! Extremely generous with his time and knowledge. I was intrigued to see how he grew them. I'm sorely tempted to go into that myself once I feel more comfortable about growing Irises. He made hybridizing sound so easy to do. One of the things I got from him was a clump of Siberians seedlings. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of them (one still had blue flowers on it). There are a lot of seed pods on them. That's why I was wondering about growing them on.Thought it would be a good learning experience.

I just spent this eveing reading up on the subject. Do most folks sow directly into the ground as oppose to pots? If sown in pots do the pots have to be insulated in any way? Zone 4 here. I think that I'd like to try them in pots at first just to have more control over the situation if that's a good option for me. As for the growing medium I read to use potting soil. There was no mention of any additives other than fertilizing twice a year.

Ellen did he win the Morgan-Wood for Lake Seneca or another Iris?

Molly D

Hi Molly,

Dana Borglum also won the AIS Morgan-Wood Medal in 2002. This is the highest award for a Siberian that the AIS awards. (The Dykes Medal can be given to any iris including Siberians and others, not just TBs). Dana has some wonderful Siberians and a lot of them can be found in my garden here in Northern New Hampshire. Good choice and good luck with them.

Ellen

Ellen Gallagher / ellengalla@yahoo.com / Editor, The Siberian Iris
Berlin, New Hampshire - USDA Zone 3
~~