Re: Re: OT: Tennessee State Flower

In a message dated 7/3/2006 5:34:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
lmann@lock-net.com writes:

Some  discussion of the history of how this came about in the archives.
I can't  remember the details.

I ran into this story again recently while doing some research on irises in
Tennessee. What is interesting is that when they adopted the Iris, and the
song  "Iris Time in Tennessee," they already had a state flower, the native
Passiflora, which they tossed aside. Bigtime Iris doings in Tennessee  in the
early 1930s. Festivals in Nashville, civic plantings and whatnot and  such.
The Iris is also the city flower of Richmond VA. Has been since 1921,
although few are aware of the fact, and fewer still care. I published this story  in
the regional rag several years ago.
Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA