Re: global warming, npr, etc.

I think it is well understood that this is a discussion list about irises and its purpose is not to provide a forum for extensive political debates. It surprises me that the two short, polite, unaggressive posts that I made should have provoked such intense responses.

I have no desire to foist my political beliefs on those who are not interested and have no intention of sustaining a lengthy political debate on this list. However, it seems curious to me that ANY subject (much less those as important as politics and religion) would be forbidden in a constitutional republic that guarantees free speech to its citizens.

Further considering that the list owner's cherished subject tags include one (OT-CHAT) specifically designed for "personal messages and conversation" and that the posts in question did contain that tag, I fail to see the problem here. I think the purpose of those tags is so that listers can screen the posts that they choose to read.

There are posters here whose every post I find distasteful. Even though their posts seem to me to reveal a pretentiousness and arrogance that nearly gags, I would not consider trying to silence them. Instead, I practice forbearance. This is a free society. Let's all try to do the same.

Bill Wells (in southern MO)