Re: CULT: Merit grub control

In a message dated 7/3/2006 10:19:42 AM Eastern Standard Time,
twinhill@earthlink.net writes:

I  just found a clump of iris that are infested with very small iris
borer  larvae that range in size from 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch. The worms are
just  now starting to move down into the rhizomes, but most of them are
still in  the leaves.  Is it too late to treat this clump with Merit or
some  other form of imidacloprid?  Would digging this clump and soaking
the  rhizomes in a solution of imidacloprid kill the borers in the leaves
and  rhizomes?

Janet, I am going to approach this as if I were in your shoes but you need
to know I am speaking off the top of my head and I do not have any experience
of  the matter.
I think I'd start with a physical treatment. I'd dig and break them apare
and trim them back and soak them in a bucket with some Murphy's oll soap, float
the cooties off and drown some and kill some hopefully. Then I'd leave them
out  of the ground a couple of weeks, watching them closely. I you wanted to do
a  Merit dunk after the Murphy's you could, but I'd seek to smother the
little  things and remove them physically first.
The thing is, I don't know what that means for the movement of anything
systemic in the tissues if you dig up the plant. And I think I'd  dig.
Of course, this could depend on the clump. Maybe you should hose it off
well, then drench with some Murphey's in a watering can, then do the Merit thing
a day later.
Such a drag. My sympathies. I hope if someone has been there they will  speak
up, especially if they think in an attempt to be  supportive I've given you
some unsound advice.
Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA --Headed for the upper 90s today. At least it is not an ice