Re: CULT: Merit grub control

In a message dated 7/3/2006 9:59:57 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
ChatOWhitehall@aol.com writes:

Janet, I am going to  approach this as if I were in your shoes but you need
to know I am  speaking off the top of my head and I do not have any
experience
of   the matter.

Here is some advice from the "Borer Capital of the World" or so it  seems
sometimes!

First, and foremost right now.....Squish the silly things!   Distasteful as
it is, when you see them in the leaves, pinch them dead!

Next, carefully check (hope you don't have thousands of irises!) to see if
they have gotten into any rhizomes and dig those and dunk for 5-10 minutes in a
 10% bleach solution, trim any "munched" or soft part of the rhizome, let
dry in the sun for a day or three and replant.

Be sure to clean all around the irises to remove "hidey places" (burn  or
trash-do NOT compost the dead stuff!), apply Merit or Ortho 3-Way Rose & Flower
Care granules available at most  Home Depot-type places or your favorite grub
killer and  monitor.

Be sure to read labels carefully and practice "Safe  Chemicals"-be careful to
limit exposure to you-cover,wash and don't breathe the  stuff, and your pets,
kids, grandkids and neighbors!

We, the least chemical users ever, do use Merit for all grubby  things -
definitely eliminates the buffet for moles as well as keeping borers at  bay -
mostly.

Rita Gormley
Gormley  Greenery
Cedar Hill, MO