RE: Re: Found local source! (Dana Borglum)

Thanks Tom!

I was wondering if I could put them in pots and then slip the pots into the ground for the winter?

Molly D

Molly D wrote: "There are a lot of seed pods on them.
That's why I was wondering about growing them on.
Thought it would be a good learning experience.
I just spent this eveing reading up on the subject. Do
most folks sow directly into the ground as oppose to
pots? If sown in pots do the pots have to be insulated
in any way? Zone 4 here. I think that I'd like to try
them in pots at first just to have more control over
the situation if that's a good option for me. As for
the growing medium I read to use potting soil. There
was no mention of any additives other than fertilizing
twice a year."

Hello Molly,
I like growing seeds in pots also, for the same reason
that you mentioned, but... I'm not terribly good at
it. So... frustrated with my potted seedling mishaps,
I now usually resort to germinating the seeds directly
in the ground. Mother Nature does a much better job of
stratifying (cold moist treatment) and watering than I
do. In this case, I just plant the seeds, in the
ground, in the Fall, and when Spring comes, I look for
the sprouts -- pretty easy. Of course there are
critters and other adversities that will "do in" a
certain number of seedlings, but I get a higher number
of survivors this way, than if I pamper them indoors.

I would suggest that you try some seeds both ways, to
see which way you like best. I still do refrigerate
and generally "fuss over", some of my iris seeds.
Good luck with 'em whatever you decide.