Re: CULT: Merit grub control

Thanks everyone for the support and advice. Believe me, I have no problem squishing iris borers! I dug the infested clump, trimmed the leaves and pulled out any borers I could find. Though there was obvious damage on some of the leaves, there were no borers to be found in several of the plants so the larvae were either too small to locate or had already gone down into the rhizomes. After trimming the leaves, I soaked all the rhizomes (damaged or not) in a liquid imadacloprid solution for an hour, dried them, replanted them in a new location and watered them with the soaking solution. I'll watch the clump and hopefully find out if this soak and drench had any effect on the borers that escaped physical extraction.

This weekend I'll be hunting for a source of Merit and perhaps a propane torch for easier fall cleanup of my out-of-control iris collection. These creaky old bones are objecting to hand trimming hundreds of iris every fall!

Janet in Denmark, WI
zone 3/4

Here is some advice from the "Borer Capital of the World" or so it seems
sometimes!

First, and foremost right now.....Squish the silly things! Distasteful as
it is, when you see them in the leaves, pinch them dead! > Rita Gormley
Gormley Greenery
Cedar Hill, MO
AIS Region 18, Zone 5
http://www.gormleygreenery.com/