Re: HYB:Aging Seed Pods

In a message dated 7/4/2006 8:08:16 P.M. Central Standard Time,
mollyd1953@hotmail.com writes:

Is there  something I should be looking for earlier that
tells me they're  ready?

Hi Molly,

Down here in Texas, before the seed pods split, they will fade to a  greenish
white. Then when they get closer to the ripening stage, the pods will  start
to shrink a little in size, as they are turning brown. The last stage is  when
the top of the pod will dry and split. Occasionally I will have a seed  pod
stalk rot, so I harvest it early. I had two of them to do that this spring.
The seeds were fully developed, but white. Not sure how others treat the not yet
 ripened seeds, as for me I go ahead and put them in the refrigerator in
paper  towel burritos! I have seedlings from un ripened seeds.

Also a note to your earlier question, about seed pod ripening stage  from
zone, to zone. I harvested my last three seed pods, of thirty crosses, this  past
week. The last few years I've been making crosses on TB's in late  February!

Jim
Fort Worth, TX
Zone 7b