Re: Re: HYB: Aging Seed Pods

In a message dated 7/5/2006 4:59:55 A.M. Central Standard Time,
lmann@lock-net.com writes:

<<Seems like 12 weeks used to be what I expected, but these are  ripening
closer to 8 weeks.>>

Linda, I've noticed the same thing as a general rule here in south central
KY.  But many of this year's early crosses are still holding on.   These were
made April 22 -25 and a few are getting a bit soft (another  indicator) but
many look like they could hang on for quite some time.  A  couple of later pods
(5-5) started to split.  These are all from tall  bearded irises.

This is the stage that is so critical because they can dry and split in an
instant, or so it seems.  I'm trying to remember to walk the beds each  morning
and night.  At some point I'll get frustrated and harvest the  remaining
pods!

Air circulation keeps the pod from rotting.  A house cat and three
granddaughters under 7 make the window sill a bit  impractical.   Again the lace bags
come in handy.  I pin the  bag to my pegboard in the office and the ceiling fan
helps finish the drying and  curing process.  This is a process I wish I'd
thought of years ago!!!   So neat and so handy.  Hard to forget where I put
them!!

I've three hanging on the board now.  I'm trying to 'save' them so my  oldest
granddaughter can help with the shelling and counting.  A favorite  activity
to share.

Less mature pods are harder to open, but it's much simpler, and less
frustrating to go ahead and harvest the seed straight from the  garden.  I place the
seed in their envelopes and shake the envelope  each day until the seed are
dry.  Either way, the seed are mature and  many will sprout.

It's been years since I gathered Siberian seed pods.  My memory says  much
smaller pods.  And I'm thinking . . . shorter maturation time?   Don't remember
anything about germination.  Although I do remember that LA  & Spurias usually
take two years to germinate.  They have a harder seed  coat??  I remember
reading ways to reduce the time.  I collected seed  pods on both but didn't plant
them.

Molly, it's the length of time from pollination to maturation.  And it  can
vary within type of irises and even from cultivar to cultivar or year to  year.
 Just keep an eye on them.  After a year or two, you'll learn to  recognize
the stages.

Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: