Re: HYB:Aging Seed Pods

It sounds like there are regional variations on how the pods look when they're ready! I guess it will be a matter of trial and error before I figure out just when mine are ready shy of having them spill their seeds all over the ground.
Thanks to all for the great input!

Molly D

Down here in Texas, before the seed pods split, they will fade to a greenish
white. Then when they get closer to the ripening stage, the pods will start
to shrink a little in size, as they are turning brown. The last stage is when
the top of the pod will dry and split. Occasionally I will have a seed pod
stalk rot, so I harvest it early. I had two of them to do that this spring.
The seeds were fully developed, but white. Not sure how others treat the not yet
ripened seeds, as for me I go ahead and put them in the refrigerator in
paper towel burritos! I have seedlings from un ripened seeds.

Also a note to your earlier question, about seed pod ripening stage from
zone, to zone. I harvested my last three seed pods, of thirty crosses, this past
week. The last few years I've been making crosses on TB's in late February!

Fort Worth, TX
Zone 7b