Re: Re: HYB: Aging Seed Pods

In a message dated 7/5/2006 9:51:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ellengalla@yahoo.com writes:

I generally take a stalk I am watching and put  it  in the house in a bud
vase with a little water. That way there are no  seeds on the ground.

I do this with my tectorum and pseudacorus seed pods.

Little Perrier bottles work well, too, or caper bottles if you  buy capers
that way. I use so many I have to buy mine by the jug at  Costco.Try them in
chicken salad.

I don't yet have ripe pods on either of these species in Richmond,  although
they are getting heavy and bending toward the ground, as is their wont.  Both
were in bloom with the TBs.

No sign of borer on anything here so far this year. I did a brace of
sprayings with Murphey's when the aphid hoards showed up. For some reason  unknown I
had horrific numbers of aphids this year, all over the irises and  the
Clematis armandii, less so on the roses.  Might have something to do  with the
Asclepias curassavica I grew last season for the Monarch butterflies.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USDA 7--Urban