Re: Re: HYB: Aging Seed Pods

Anner -- This method that you and Ellen use seems to be about the most practical -- especially for those of us who may have some lavender around, but not much old lace. I'd guess that 100% of pods which have begun to turn papery have fully ripe seeds inside, so plucking the pod before it cracks and bringing it inside at that point should ensure capture of all the seeds.

Weather is still a mystery. You and I are only about 90 miles apart in similar climatic conditions, but I have seen virtually no aphids this year. On the other hand, there seem to be more borers than usual. This is despite the application of granualr Merit in mid-February, as usual. My guess is that the prolonged warm spell in January got the critters hatched and gave them a head start. -- Griff

----- Original Message ----- From: <ChatOWhitehall@aol.com>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 10:40 AM
Subject: Re: [iris] Re: HYB: Aging Seed Pods

In a message dated 7/5/2006 9:51:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ellengalla@yahoo.com writes:

I generally take a stalk I am watching and put it in the house in a bud
vase with a little water. That way there are no seeds on the ground.

I do this with my tectorum and pseudacorus seed pods.

Little Perrier bottles work well, too, or caper bottles if you buy capers
that way. I use so many I have to buy mine by the jug at Costco.Try them in
chicken salad.

I don't yet have ripe pods on either of these species in Richmond, although
they are getting heavy and bending toward the ground, as is their wont. Both
were in bloom with the TBs.

No sign of borer on anything here so far this year. I did a brace of
sprayings with Murphey's when the aphid hoards showed up. For some reason unknown I
had horrific numbers of aphids this year, all over the irises and the
Clematis armandii, less so on the roses. Might have something to do with the
Asclepias curassavica I grew last season for the Monarch butterflies.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USDA 7--Urban