Re: Re: HYB: Aging Seed Pods

In a message dated 7/5/2006 11:25:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jgcrump@cox.net writes:

<<Anner  --  This method that you and Ellen use seems  to be about the most
practical --  especially for those of us who may  have some lavender around,
but not much old  lace. >>
What about length of cheesecloth wraped around and secured  with a small
rubber band, Griff?
<<Weather is still a mystery.  You and I are only about 90  miles apart in
similar climatic conditions, but I have seen virtually no  aphids this year.

They were all in my yard.
I try to be mellow about the little things, but this was beyond that. You
can only blast away with the recommended "strong stream of water"  for so long.
If you hit the clematis with a stick they fell off like rain  and they were
sucking the life out of it. I put a glug of Murphy's in the  pump sprayer,
filled it at the tap, agitated, and drenched the whole shebang.  You see, the fluid
flows down into the crevices and floats things out. It  appears to have a
washing- off action, a soap-contact-killing action, and  a
residual-oil-film-smothering action. At any rate, I've not had more trouble  with the aphids and I
don't see any clear evidence of borer at this point.  Which is not to say there
would have been any inevitably,  you understand.
<<application of granualr Merit in mid-February, as usual.  My  guess is
that the prolonged warm spell in January got the critters hatched  and gave
them a head start.
You see, we still don't know enough about those foul cooties. How much  cold
can the infants take? Do we know? I have been told that around here there
definitely can be more than one generation a year, or else there is one  very
erratic hatch. Infants have been found along with fully mature
borers--caterpillers, I mean.
Do you think the rain might have impacted the Merit? Washed away the
I found the most stunningl tomato hornworm this morning. He was noshing  on
my Garden Peach, a funny little tomato I like to use for salsa.  It is about
the size of a clementine, the color of a banana, but with a rosy  cheek, and it
is fuzzy! Amazing little fruit. Too good for  hornworms.