Re: Re: HYB: Aging Seed Pods

In a message dated 7/5/2006 4:59:55 A.M. Central Standard Time,
lmann@lock-net.com writes:

Jim, how  long does it take an average TB pod to ripen for you?   Are  you
shelling and soaking the seeds before burrito'ing?

Seems like 12  weeks used to be what I expected, but these are ripening
closer to 8  weeks.  Typically half the stalks dry up or fall over before
pods are  ripe here - I just put them on a sunny shelf till they start  to

How much easier it would be to put unshelled seed pods in  the fridge to
chill before early planting!

Hello Linda,
Usually seed pods here start ripening around 8 weeks, but some seem  to
linger a little longer. I'm not pre soaking seeds any more, just shell them,  put
the seeds in a wet paper towel(burrito), and into sandwich baggies they  go.
Tried this method last season, and was satisfied with the  results.
Haven't tried putting unshelled seed pods in the fridge, would be  concerned
with the seeds getting moldy.