Re: HYB: Not shelling seeds (was Aging Seed Pods

Thanks Jim.

I've always heard that mold doesn't seem to hurt healthy seeds, even
read that some hybridizers thought they were getting better germination
when the ripe seeds molded a bit.

The thing I like most about the idea of putting intact pods into the
fridge is that I can shell at my leisure over the next 3 months they are
in the fridge.  One of the nuisances about shelling, drying, soaking
then refrigerating is that it's so much trouble and time-consuming to do
a <lot> of pods, and impossible (for me) to do a few at a time and still
keep track of when to move them from one step to the next.

So they all wind up being delayed until I have one or two big batches of
seeds to process.  Plus it's so time-consuming, it gets delayed even
more if I don't have time to do them all.

I have a super-abundance of seed again this year, so will experiment
with some.  With all this early ripening, seeds should be germinating
from first round of 3 month chilling by first of October, which will be
<so> much easier to handle than November/December.  Might even be big
enough to get into the ground with protection for the winter.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8