Re: CULT: Merit grub control/imidacloprid

Hi Anner,

Imidacloprid is not listed as a contact poison. It's a stomach poison and is meant to be ingested as the target pest eats roots or foliage that have been treated. However, if the borer is completely submerged in it as this one was, I suppose it could have ingested some of the poison. That said, I think it's more likely the borer drowned. As I dig and divide more iris from the infested bed this weekend, I'm sure to find more borers, at which point I can give another one swimming lessons in plain water. That might answer the question.....or raise a bunch of new ones.

Janet in Denmark WI....where there are always more questions than answers.....
zone 3/4

It seems that for the Merit to have killed him in this instance, it would
have to have been acting as a contact poison, unless you think he ingested the
brew and died therefrom?

Does the literature indicate any contact toxicity?

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA