Re: CULT: Merit grub control/imidacloprid

In a message dated 7/6/2006 8:13:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
twinhill@earthlink.net writes:

<<Imidacloprid is not listed as a contact  poison.>>
Yes, that is what I was remembering. I'm out of the stuff at the  moment. I
use it in the hose-end formula for grubs. My problem is I need to  treat about
1000 sq feet at a time and the system doohicky is good for about  5000 sq feet
so I never really know when I have used it all up because  the applicator
remains full of water. I have the matter under  advisement.
I hope you will keep experimenting. Good time to do so, I'd think,  albeit
I think water can almost certainly flow into those hollowed out  rhizomes
while in the soil, too, during a saturating rain. Hence the talk of  rot being a
consequence of borer activity.
And I think we have established here that borer can be fully  active in
aquatic irises with submerged rhizomes....someone will please kindly  correct me if
I misremember. Apropos, it is believed that the native host is  Iris
versicolor, a beardless species with wetland preferences. There  could be a seasonal
aspect of this, I suppose.... wet areas drying to damp  about the time of
Wonder how those larvae actually breathe. I mean, is it something  they do
through a nose equivalent, or is it something they do through  their skin so
that smothering might be the best course? If you have  any hort oil there, see
what happens with a drop in a cup of water and a quick  dunk of a cootie. Drop
of baby oil would probably work, too.
Do we have a bug person on this list.....how do such  creatures breathe?
Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA