Re: Re: HYB: Not shelling seeds (was Aging Seed Pods

In a message dated 7/6/2006 5:40:41 A.M. Central Standard Time,
lmann@lock-net.com writes:

I've  always heard that mold doesn't seem to hurt healthy seeds, even
read that  some hybridizers thought they were getting better germination
when the ripe  seeds molded a bit.

The thing I like most about the idea of putting  intact pods into the
fridge is that I can shell at my leisure over the next  3 months they are
in the fridge.  One of the nuisances about shelling,  drying, soaking
then refrigerating is that it's so much trouble and  time-consuming to do
a <lot> of pods, and impossible (for me) to do a  few at a time and still
keep track of when to move them from one step to  the next.

So they all wind up being delayed until I have one or two big  batches of
seeds to process.  Plus it's so time-consuming, it gets  delayed even
more if I don't have time to do them all.

I have a  super-abundance of seed again this year, so will experiment
with  some.  With all this early ripening, seeds should be germinating
from  first round of 3 month chilling by first of October, which will  be
<so> much easier to handle than November/December.  Might  even be big
enough to get into the ground with protection for the  winter.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
East Tennessee  Iris Society <http://www.korrnet.org/etis>

Hi Linda,

 I'm following your lead! <G> Last year, I started using  the "burrito"
method, after reading your post's on your results!
So with that said, I'll be waiting to hear how things turn out,  with you
putting un shelled seed pods in the fridge for  stratification!
I've learned so much from this list, since I joined about five  years ago.
So, keep experimenting! LOL

Jim
Fort Worth, TX
zone 7b