RE: Re: HYB: getting started

Actually Linda I think your advice is the best for me so far. It gives me a goal to work for that I can actually visualize!

I haven't seen these plants in bloom so I wasn't swayed by how they looked. They were chosen purely for their breeding potential. I like what you say about watching how they perform and finally observing the flowers next spring. Until I see them bloom I won't know what I want in their offspring.

Thank you very much for your excellent advice! I will be following it.

Molly D

Without knowing what you want to see in your seedlings, it's hard to say
which crosses to try, so here's my suggestion - watch them grow this
fall, see how they do over the winter, pick the 'best' performers in
your growing conditions, or the ones you like the most, or the colors
you like most, and try as many crosses as you have time & energy.  Think
about flower traits, learn how to 'see' what the plant has to offer.
Compare stalks, bud placement, substance, flower form, anything and
everything and see if there is something 'missing' or less than
perfection to you in one parent that you can improve by crossing it with
another.

That's a bunch of vague generalities that probably isn't much use to
you.  I've never used any of those cultivars here, so don't know
anything about what traits they pass along that are good. WAR SAILS,
ACOMA, EASTER TIME and HONKY TONK rotted for me.  Took three tries, but
now SWEET MUSETTE is doing ok, haven't tried PLANNED TREASURE or
THRILLER.