Re: Re: HYB: getting started

One important thing to try an learn is to understand the fact that the
blue/purple/rose (anthocyanins) colours have completely different genetic
control from the yellow/orange/pink (Xanthines) colours. So when you look at
Sweet Musette try to see one iris that is pink all over and another that has
white standards (with a touch of purple in the midribs) and purple falls and
then overlay them in your mind.
Also when you see red (such as War Sails) try to imagine a rose colour
overlaid with yellow. It's not a bad idea to get some colour transparencies
and draw a identical iris outline on each and colour one with
blue/purple/rose pattern and then overlay it with the other which will have
a yellow/pink/orange pattern on it. For example in the photo of Brown Lasso
I've attached it's fairly easy to see that the yellow pattern is yellow
standards and falls that are white with a yellow edge (similar to
Eastertime) and the purple pattern is white standards and purple falls. So
if you crossed Eastertime with Thriller (plain purple) you could get a range
of purple/browns/ yellows but also some would have brown standards and
purple falls with brown edges. Eastertime pattern overlaid on plain purple.
Remember that the two sets of colour pattern have a number of factors
affecting them and not all colours/patterns may be passed on.  A friend once
crossed Lady Friend (reddish brown) with Chinese Empress (white stds, purple
falls), one seedling from the cross had yellow stds and red falls and the
other was a bluish purple. Think about it!

Have fun

Colleen Modra
Adelaide Hills
South Australia