HYB: TB questions and thoughts about developing seed pods

  I have successfully acquired seed pods from my iris in the past, but am wondering the following things.
  Is there an optimum amount of feeding and watering the iris should receive as the seed pod develops? Too much? Too little?
  Should the amount of food and or water vary up to the time the pod is ripe and ready to harvest?
  Is there any correlation between the water/food amounts during seed formation and germination success rates? Has anyone even tested different amounts?
  I know too much food, or at least certain foods such as any foods very high in nitrogen prior to flowering can cause more trouble than good, but as seeds form, only vegetation is growing, so wouldn't the feeding requirements change during this time?
  I understand about various techniques used in highering germination rates after the seeds are acquired.
  This year all the plants I hand pollinated that successfully made pods have huge pods. It's too soon to check any in my area. I have noticed that a couple of the seedlings I used for crossing, which came from more recent introductions, yielded even larger pods than the others. I'm guessing it's because of those seedlings family trees, that is to say the iris varieties in their ancestry. Not sure if that means anything as far as something to make special note of for future selection of breeding plants. I guess the seedlings from those crosses will determine that.
  thanks for any thoughts...
  steve m zone 4b northeastern minnesota