Re: HYB: getting started

Welll...not quite.

For WAR SAILS, phenotype <looks> red, but is actually blue plus yellow.
Lots of possible genotypes look red because ...well, I know I'm not
ready to try to explain that complicated mess!  It's not like mixing
paint, where blue plus yellow equals green, but it's sort of like that,
except that on the iris planet, the mixture turns out brown instead of
green.

And for SWEET MUSETTE, the phenotype <looks> pink top and purplish
falls, but is actually pink all over with blue/purple added to the
falls.  Genotype is 4 sets of recessive pink genes combined with one of
at least two different sets of genes (again, too complicated for me to
be brave enough to try to explain) that result in a phenotype of blue
being added to the pink on the falls.  The pink is still there on the
falls, it's just mixed with the purple so it's hard to see.

Betty, I posted a lot of photos of jars of extracted pigments...did I
post any of the washed petals?  I don't remember doing that - I mashed
most of them to bits trying to get all the pigment out.   The only one I
remember posting was of the melon colored beard before and after
extracting the water soluble yellow (adding to the confusion at this
point....)

Yes, blue comes in several variations (blue, purple, orchid, rose...)
and yellow has at least two different genotypes and several different
chemical forms, plus there is pink and orange, so there are lots of ways
the two can combine.

Some look brown, others tan, "ochre", some are blends (color is more
streaked or blotchy, grading from one color to another).  I'm not
familiar enough with the irises you want to work with to know if any of
the others have both "blue" and "yellow/pink/orange" pigments showing.
I think THRILLER is just 'blue' - one of the orchid/rose shades.
                        Tokyo Blues
                        Krugerand
                        Planned Treasure
                        Thriller
<In
                        Bio they called what you see the phenotype (what
was expressed) as oppose to what really was (the genotype).
                        Sounds challenging!!!
                        Now does that washing trick work with any other
colors? Or just the blue and the red?

                        Molly D (feeling a tad less bewildered in zone
4)>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8