Re: HYB: TB questions

 I <think> I get higher germination rates, some of the time, from seeds
that develop in semi decent weather (moderate, frequent rainfall, no
drought) compared with those that are baking in the dust.  I've been
trying to water at least some of the podded plants this year for the
first time, but the only difference I notice is pods maturing faster
than usual..
??  May just be year to year variation, varieties used, who knows

Pods on my seedlings definitely average many more seeds than pods on
storebought cultivars.  I'm not sure about germination rate, but with
more seeds to start with, there are more seedlings.  Paul Black told me
once that getting my own seedlings, those that are adapted to my growing
conditions, would eventually result in greater success rates both in
setting pods, more seeds per pod, and better germination rates.  At
least my fuzzy memory says he told me that.  Apologies to Paul if I'm
misquoting him.

<  Is there an optimum amount of feeding and watering the iris should
receive as the seed pod develops? .......                          .....

                          Is there any correlation between the
water/food amounts during seed formation and germination success rates?

                           I have noticed that a couple of the seedlings
I used for crossing, ..., yielded even larger pods than the others.
                          steve m zone 4b northeastern minnesota>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8