Re: CULT: Merit grub control/imidacloprid

In a message dated 7/12/2006 9:19:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
twinhill@earthlink.net writes:

<<After attempting to drown a borer in plain water, I'm pretty  well
convinced that they have very minimal oxygen requirements in their
larval stage.>>
This is good information. Really good. Of course there is  oxygen in
H2O...but I take your point.
<< So even though imidacloprid is not listed as a contact  poison, it appears
work that way to some degree, since the first victim  did actually die
after 1/2 hour of swimming in the imidacloprid  solution.

Or there  is some membrane cross- over, dialysis wise... Or it kills them via
contact  albeit in a different way than the way it kills by
ingestion...erodes  their skin or something....like snails and salt... or crickets and
diatomaceous earth...

<<Perhaps the only practical knowledge I've gained from this is  that I
*may* be doing some good by soaking borer infested rhizomes in a
solution of liquid imidacloprid when the borers are so small that I
can't find and extract them with my tweezers.  It's late enough in  the
season now that most of the borers have already done their dirty work
and are underground pupating, so soaking the rhizomes in imidacloprid at
this stage is useless, unless I happen to nail some late hatchlings.
Now the rhizome soaking is more damage control and involves bleach
Makes sense.

<<I bought my propane burner for burning off  foliage this fall and I
bought my bag of Bayer Advanced Grub Control for  next spring. I'll be
ready for the beasts next year!
Strength to your sword arm!
Thank you very much for experimenting. I think that the failure to
understand the pest fully and develop cultural answers and procedures  acceptable to
many gardeners in borer country is one of the  major impediments to encouraging
wider interest in garden irises in  the USA.
Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA