CULT: Preemergent

I spoke once before about the preemergent Trifluralin (Preen, MiracleGro, others). I would be interested in hearing people's comments on the best timing to apply this product. I've used it in the spring, and fall, but not particularly when I'm digging and replanting irises. The idea is that it's not suppose to hurt irises that already have root growth established. The label by the product manufacturer doesn't list using it with irises, other than bulbous iris. What has been other's experience as to the timing of application of Trifluralin for preemergent weed control? Is it advisable to put on when planting, so that immediate watering won't bring up a fresh crop of weeds? Thanks.
Kitty Loberg
Northern Calif.