Re: CULT: Preemergent

In a message dated 7/14/2006 2:06:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
loberg@adelphia.net writes:

What has been other's experience as to the timing of application of
Trifluralin for preemergent weed control?  Is it advisable to put on when  planting,
so that immediate watering won't bring up a fresh crop of  weeds?

My understanding has been that one waits until the plants  are established to
apply a pre-emergent germination inhibitor since the  effective action of the
chemical may inhibit formation of roots on the  newly set irises by
negatively impacting the meristem.

The last time I checked the local *official* recommendations for use  on
irises were Surflan and Dacthal. There is a good deal of information in  the
archives about the former.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA