HYB:CULT: Not shelling seeds

I had an afterthought.
  In my garden my pods are often invaded by worms.
  There are two different types of worms this year:
  One is a small green hairless caterpillar type worm.  I think this is a coddling moth larvae.  When he invades there is a very clean hole the size of a pin head that may have a little bit of clear slimy fluid at the entry point.
  The other- new this year- is larger and dark brown or black.  He has the big pincer type jaws and matures into a pupae similar in form to a cicada pupae.  His entry point is a larger more obvious hole in the pod shell and is littered with little black eggs/droppings that look like teeny weeny deer droppings.  I suspect this might be either a blister beetle or japanese beetle larvae, but that guess is based solely on the presence of adults in my garden.
  Either way, they will eat seeds, so not shelling the seeds would leave you open to the possibility that all your seeds might be lunch.