Re: HYB: CULT: Worms in pods

Good point, Christian, and one I thought about.

I rationalized by assuming it will be too cold in the fridge for any wee
maggots that are still munching to do much damage.

I see two kinds of larvae here too, green ones and generic brownish
stripey ones (seems to be the standard appearance for all manner of
gnawing little vermin).  Sometimes, they don't seem to do much damage at
all, other times, I've seen half the seeds affected.  I guess it depends
how early in the pod development the eggs are laid - big little monsters
eat more.

Larvae in pods here are not leaving big chunks of frass (scientific term
for bug poop) like you describe, more of a dry, mealy looking mess.

I guess I could squirt some pesticide inside pods with holes in them.
Or as I get around to shelling and burrito'ing them, just be sure I do
the buggy ones first.

In the past, I've dug around with curved forceps on ripening pods still
on the stalk outdoors and have managed to snag the little beasties and
pull them out.  Too much trouble with this many pods.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8