Re: CULT: Preemergent

In a message dated 7/15/2006 6:55:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jgcrump@cox.net writes:

I have  used Preen for 32 years.

I did not realize the stuff had been around that long, Griff. I don't think
I'd ever noticed it in the local trade until the 1990s. Perhaps the  company
did a media blitz or repackaged or something.
Some of these useful products are surprizingly longtoothed. I've  got
magazines from the 930s with Wilt-pruf ads in them.
The heat is headed for Richmond and I expect you will see it, too. They say
we will have a week of temperatures hovering at 100. Water and the  fungi go
wild; don't water and the garden fries. Nothing is happy  except my Canna
'Panache,'  which lives in a big pot sitting in a  basin of water
anyway.Tabboulleh-eating weather, in other words.
Since this sort of extreme moist heat is just everso  fabulous for gardening,
I rescued a hydrangea yesterday when I went to the  nursery to get a bag of
vermiculite in which to stick a few cuttings. The  cultivar is H. paniculata
'The Swan" and it combines the worst plant  habits imaginable-- it is both lax
and brittle--with the most  heartbreakingly elegant flowers one has ever seen.
Showstopper. Every bit as  lovely as 'Panache'.  This is my second one.
Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA USDA Zone 7--Urban