CULT: Bacterial Soft Rot

For decades I've been lucky that I haven't had to worry much about bacterial rot because my soil drains so well. The only time I generally see it is when a new rhizome is purchased, and occasionally it will rot out and not make it to winter. Previously, I've never had it spread to other clumps nearby. I have even stopped my chlorine bathing of replanted irises for years, and have not seen any difference and no additional loss of irises.

However, I've a new problem. I built a new patio retaining wall, and the soil to fill behind the wall was excavated dirt from a deep depth, very hard and clay like dirt. I realize now I probably should have imported better dirt. I've had irises growing there 3 years, and this past year, brought in and planted 20 or so newer varieties. This winter/spring, I had a couple rhizomes rot out, and I noticed it was spreading. After spring bloom, a couple more which had bloomed so well, (including Decadence), rotted out. As my watering is draining to new clumps, they're showing signs of rot. I'm in the process of removing all irises from that bed.

Other than chlorine bathing prior to replanting, I'm not finding much in books which tells what one can do about "fixing" the entire bed/soil. I'm assuming fumigating the soil would do it, but I am wondering if there is a simpler home remedy, or soil additive to kill off the bacteria. My other consideration is to replace the soil, or just plant other plants there (and not potatoes <grin>). Anyone have any experiences in repairing the soil/bed?

Kitty Loberg

Northern Calif.