Re: CULT: Preemergent

In a message dated 7/16/2006 10:35:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jgcrump@cox.net writes:

<<I think you can scatter Surflan over adult plants and water it  in, as
But I'd advise double-checking with someone who uses  it.>>
Way back when, as in 1997, Rick Tasco of Superstition Iris  Gardens spoke on
this list about Surflan. He observed that the label  stated the plants had to
be rooted before its use, and he spoke of avoiding  buildup in the soil. These
posts are in the archives. This was the same era in  which Superstition was
into solarizing. It would be interesting to know  what the situation is there
now. At any rate, the search term  "Surflan" will bring up a lot of interesting
information on point by  Tasco and by others. So will the search terms
"Preen", and "preemergent." The archives are found at
_http://www.hort.net/lists//iris-talk/_ (http://www.hort.net/lists//iris-talk/)
I had a note asking me what I meant earlier by local  'official'
recommendations for Surflan and Dacthal. What I intended was the last  time I checked
with the Extension Service--several years ago now-- the word  was that Virginia
Polytechnic Institute-- the state agricultural  college-- was recommending
those two chemicals for irises. All disclaimers  apply.
Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA