To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2006 10:05 PM
Subject: Re: [iris] CULT: Preemergent

In a message dated 7/16/2006 10:35:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jgcrump@cox.net writes:

<<I think you can scatter Surflan over adult plants and water it in, as
But I'd advise double-checking with someone who uses it.>>

Way back when, as in 1997, Rick Tasco of Superstition Iris Gardens spoke on
this list about Surflan. He observed that the label stated the plants had to
be rooted before its use, and he spoke of avoiding buildup in the soil. These
posts are in the archives. This was the same era in which Superstition was
into solarizing. It would be interesting to know what the situation is there
now. At any rate, the search term "Surflan" will bring up a lot of interesting
information on point by Tasco and by others. So will the search terms
"Preen", and "preemergent." The archives are found at
_http://www.hort.net/lists//iris-talk/_ (http://www.hort.net/lists//iris-talk/)

I had a note asking me what I meant earlier by local 'official'
recommendations for Surflan and Dacthal. What I intended was the last time I checked
with the Extension Service--several years ago now-- the word was that Virginia
Polytechnic Institute-- the state agricultural college-- was recommending
those two chemicals for irises. All disclaimers apply.

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA