Re: CULT: Bacterial Soft Rot,

I sure would like to learn more about this 'plague'. I lose more iris to this than borers or heaving or anything else.
I agree with Linda that bacteria are everywhere. It would be impossible to rid the soil of such. As long as there is organic matter in the soil bacteria will be there. Rid the soil of organic matter and nothing including the iris, can live. I can't really see the efficacy of using an antibacterial soil additive or soap because yes, it might work for a few hours, but then bacteria will return.
The healthier and more established the iris, the less chance of rot. Even good drainage doesn't help mine much. If there is enough humidity in the air, it rots the iris too. Maybe that's why they don't do well in Florida.
If anyone has some ideas on how to help the iris withstand these humid rot bearing days of summer, please let me know.