TB: Vigorous Summer Growth Question

  • Subject: [iris] TB: Vigorous Summer Growth Question
  • From: "Williams, Michael" Michael.Williams@hgtc.edu
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:07:46 -0400

I have been under the impression that iris plants are dormant during the
summer months. However, I have two first year plants here that have pushed up
three and five new fans just in the last month when it has been the hottest
period of the year. These fans are healthy and around 3 to 5 inches in length
at this point. Temps here have averaged high 80s with heat indices in the low
to mid 90s. We have had a couple of days where the heat index exceeded 100.
Would such growth as this be unique to these varieties? All of the other
irises do definitely seem dormant. Have others of you experienced this? I am
simply curious.

Thanks,
Mike in Zone 8 (Coastal SC)
(009)
This message has been
scanned by F-Secure Anti-Virus for Microsoft Exchange.
For more information,
connect to http://www.f-secure.com/