Re: TB: Vigorous Summer Growth Question

Mike -- Over the years I have noticed a lot of difference in the growth habits of certain varieties, ranging from those whose foliage never seems to appreciably die back to others which go dormant for several months and whose foliage dies clear back to within a couple of inches of the ground. And these of which I am speaking are not rebloomers. For a time, I kept a record of the die-backs because I was concerned as to their long-term viability, but a few years of observation showed that there was no correlation between this behavior and perennial performance. At the moment, a lot of my irises are showing new growth of several inches in the fans, while others are doing the usual droop. It appears to me that we just have a lot of genetic difference among our irises. I suppose an extensive pedigree comparison might show traits tied to certain species, but will leave that to those who might be able to devote the time to it. -- Griff

----- Original Message ----- From: "Williams, Michael" <Michael.Williams@hgtc.edu>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2006 1:07 PM
Subject: [iris] TB: Vigorous Summer Growth Question

I have been under the impression that iris plants are dormant during the
summer months. However, I have two first year plants here that have pushed up
three and five new fans just in the last month when it has been the hottest
period of the year. These fans are healthy and around 3 to 5 inches in length
at this point. Temps here have averaged high 80s with heat indices in the low
to mid 90s. We have had a couple of days where the heat index exceeded 100.
Would such growth as this be unique to these varieties? All of the other
irises do definitely seem dormant. Have others of you experienced this? I am
simply curious.

Thanks,
Mike in Zone 8 (Coastal SC)
(009)
This message has been
scanned by F-Secure Anti-Virus for Microsoft Exchange.
For more information,
connect to http://www.f-secure.com/