Re: TB: Vigorous Summer Growth Question

As others have said, it seems to be a varietal difference.

At one time, I was searching for cultivars with foliage that
"disappeared" during  summer heat, because those seemed to be my most
reliable cultivars.  I did  <lot> of pedigree searches then, identified
some of the common ancestors of those cultivars, purchased and tried to
grow some of them to see if I could figure out where that trait comes
from.  All in the early years of hort net archives.

My conclusion - my best guess is that the trait comes from some of the
dwarf species.  Or maybe variegata or pallida <g>  (i.e., nearly
everything and anything).  All pretty inconclusive.

Plus, I've since discovered that at least one of those "summer
deciduous" cultivars, SULTRY MOOD, keeps its foliage all summer if it
gets more water and is partly protected from summer sun (partial shade
on the north side of the house).

As others have also said, rebloomers at least try to grow continuously,
especially those that can bloom more often than just early spring and
late fall.  I'll have to double check, but I think some varieties that
only bloom very early spring and very late fall also can be summer
deciduous here.

<Would such growth as this be unique to these varieties? All of the
                               irises do definitely seem dormant. Have
others of you experienced
                               Mike in Zone 8 (Coastal SC)>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8