Re: Re: TB: Vigorous Summer Growth Question

I don't think I've got any irises that actually lose their leaves during the
summer, except maybe a few outer leaves for what I've assumed was lack of
water (or kitten interventions).  I let it get pretty dry last year.  So far
this year, with more mulch and a little timely rain in addition to deep
watering every three weeks or so, there isn't any leaf loss that I've noticed.
 May well happen some in August, but I don't expect any to lose all their
leaves.  (Don't have any arils or arilbreds, of course (not yet).)  It has
been hot lately, but the summer is fairly short here, so that probably makes
the difference.  Also cools off pretty well at night.  (To give some rough
idea for season comparison, my first Early Girl tomato, named of course for
being early, on a plant planted before the last freeze and covered, is still
about a week from being ripe.  Some years I don't get any tomatoes till
September.)

Kent
Sanpete County, Utah, zone 4/5, almost 6,000 feet
The named daylilies, which are great iris companion plants, are wonderful
right now.  After them will be perennial asters, which pretty well wrap things
up here, unless I get some iris rebloom.

Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com> said:

> As others have said, it seems to be a varietal difference.
>
> At one time, I was searching for cultivars with foliage that
> "disappeared" during  summer heat, because those seemed to be my most
> reliable cultivars.  I did  <lot> of pedigree searches then, identified
> some of the common ancestors of those cultivars, purchased and tried to
> grow some of them to see if I could figure out where that trait comes
> from.  All in the early years of hort net archives.
>
> My conclusion - my best guess is that the trait comes from some of the
> dwarf species.  Or maybe variegata or pallida <g>  (i.e., nearly
> everything and anything).  All pretty inconclusive.
>
> Plus, I've since discovered that at least one of those "summer
> deciduous" cultivars, SULTRY MOOD, keeps its foliage all summer if it
> gets more water and is partly protected from summer sun (partial shade
> on the north side of the house).
>
> As others have also said, rebloomers at least try to grow continuously,
> especially those that can bloom more often than just early spring and
> late fall.  I'll have to double check, but I think some varieties that
> only bloom very early spring and very late fall also can be summer
> deciduous here.
>
> <Would such growth as this be unique to these varieties? All of the
>                                other
>                                irises do definitely seem dormant. Have
> others of you experienced
>                                this?
>                                Mike in Zone 8 (Coastal SC)>
>
> --

> This e-mail has been scanned by Cut.Net Managed Email Content Service, using
Skeptic(tm) technology powered by MessageLabs. For more information on
Cut.Nets Content Service, visit http://www.cut.net